What does "BSc MVS CCAB" mean?


These are my university degrees.

BSc refers to my Bachelor of Science degree (with double major in Psychology and Zoology).

MVS refers to my Master of Veterinary Studies degree (in animal behaviour not medicine).


The title of dog or cat “behaviourist” is not protected in the same way that other professions are, for example “psychologist”, “nurse” or “physiotherapist”. Therefore absolutely anyone can call themselves a behaviourist.

There is widespread concern within our profession that unqualified people setting themselves up as animal behaviourists may have serious consequences for dogs, cats, and their owners. Because of this concern, in 2002 the Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour (ASAB), the United Kingdom’s leading professional society for the study of animal behaviour, set up a certification scheme for animal behaviourists after consultation with the British Psychological Society, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors, the UK Registry of Canine Behaviourists, the International Society for Applied Ethology, the Companion Animal Behaviour Therapy Study Group, the Kennel Club and other organisations concerned with dog training.

The outcome was an independent Certification of the highest standard, administered by the Accreditation Committee of ASAB. Those certified as Clinical Animal Behaviourists are entitled to use the initials CCAB and the CCAB logo. "CCAB" is recognised by both the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and the British Psychological Society.  

Certification constitutes recognition by ASAB that the behaviourist meets the educational, experiential, and ethical standards required by the society, and that by consulting with a CCAB clients can be assured that the behaviourist is suitably qualified, has experience of treating behaviour problems, and adheres to a code of conduct.

Many organisations provide “qualifications” in dog training and behaviour through attending their own courses, or “accreditation” through paying a membership fee. The Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour is the only independent organisation to demand evidence of academic education to degree level, at least three years' applied experience and ongoing continued professional development.

Details of the CCAB accreditation scheme can be seen here.

Note: CCAB is different from ABTC CAB registration (which I also have).  See here for more details on ABTC CAB.

Mat Ward CCAB 2019.JPG